Child Protection in the Eparchy of Parma
The Eparchy of Parma is committed to ensuring that no child or young person who is entrusted to its protection will suffer harm by reason of any inappropriate sexual behavior by any person.
Staff and volunteers
What you need to do. Requirements are for all priests, deacons, and all staff and volunteers who have regular contact with children. In most parishes, this includes catechists, scout leaders, altar server instructors and youth group leaders.
Before you have regular contact with children, you are required to:
- Review the Eparchy of Parma's Policy on Sexual Abuse of Minors by Priests, Deacons or Other Church Personnel and the Code of Conduct for Church Personnel when Working with Minors.
- Complete the on-line Acknowledgment of Safe Environment Policy Review and the Background Questionnaire.
- Complete the on-line background investigation consent form, or complete a background investigation via fingerprints. State of Ohio staff and volunteers see www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Services/Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing to find a fingerprint location near you. If fingerprinting is not possible, please complete the background investigation.
- View The Call that Counts video and complete the on-line Acknowledgment of Viewing the Video form.
- Take the Virtus © training
- Give a copy of the certificate of completion of training or the sign-in log to your parish office and send a copy to the eparchy’s Safe Environment Coordinator.
- Take the Boy Scouts of America's Youth Protection training (in a group or on-line) Applicable to the ages of youths with whom they are working.
- Give a copy of the certificate of completion of training to the parish office and send a copy to the eparchy’s Safe Environment Coordinator.
Chaperones of Overnight Events
All chaperones of overnight events, such as Altar Servers Congress, ByzanTEEN Youth Rally, retreats, etc. are to read the
Eparchial Policy on Sexual Abuse and Code of Conduct
before each overnight event
, and submit the on-line form "
Acknowledgement of Policy Review
." One copy will be retained in the eparchy's Safe Environment Office and the other coopy will be forwarded to the individual's parish office.
Eastern Christian Formation (ECF) Instruction
All Eastern Christian Formation instructors will provide age-appropriate “Safe Environment” instruction. The Office of Religious Education has provided lesson plans based on theGod with Us series to assist the catechists. Alternately, instructors can use age-appropriate youth protection videos produced by the Boy Scouts of America.
ECF LESSON PLANS FOR SAFE ENVIRONMENT INSTRUCTION:
Pre School - Glory To God - Lesson 11
Kindergarten - God Is With Us - Lesson 5
1st Grade - God is Love - Lesson 1
2nd Grade - God Gives Life - Lesson 3
3rd Grade - God Calls Us Together - Lesson 1
4th Grade - God's Promise Is Fulfilled - Unit 1
5th Grade - Share - Lesson 1
6th Grade - Respond - Lesson 1
7th Grade - Becoming - Lesson 1
8th Grade - Journey - Lesson 1
High School - Discussions of Healthy vs Abusive relationships
Staff and volunteers may call the Safe Environment Coordinator at 216-741-8773, ext. 228 or 216-469-1425 for further information.